I have to be up and running around the BCB tomorrow morning, so this post promises to be an exercise in efficiency, and while my last name belies this, I fear that it won’t be the German type.
So, here we go:
1. I begin my day at a restaurant recommended to me by Helmut Adam, where – thanks to my severe language deficiency – I mistakenly order a non-alcoholic beer with lunch.
2. I take a lovely stroll through West Berlin and see some non-bar-trade-related sights. There are a lot of German Shepherds going for walksies in Berlin. I think they just call them “Shepherds” here.
3. I walk back over the river to West Berlin for a social at Mixology headquarters. I don’t know why I was surprised to see a big, beautiful bar situated in the office of a huge bartending magazine, but I was.
4. I have a run-in with Jay Hepburn. Again.
5. Jay and I discover the Mixology liquor closet. Jay is much more amenable when surrounded by 2,000 of his closest friends.
7. Simon Difford confides in me that he has a Google Alert for his name. I make a mental note to mention him in every future blog post in order to force him to read this site.
8. Rag-tag group piles into yet another cab and finds a hotel bar.
9. Things start getting fuzzy.
10. Rag-tag group walks a mile to a bar that Difford wants to check out for his upcoming bar guide.
11. Bar is closed.
12. Group attempts to find other bar. For Difford’s bar guide.
13. Jeff hails cab and sneaks back to hotel. Few notice.